Java Developer Salary: What You Can Expect to Earn
As discussed in our previous post about Java Developer jobs, these professionals are in high demand right now. In fact, a quick search showed there are more than 40,000 open positions in the United States containing Java Developer in the job title. Due to the number of businesses utilizing Java in their applications, or businesses adding more Java based applications, the number of open positions, and demand for top level Java professionals is expected to grow.
So, with such a high growth rate, we wanted to share more about the salary expectations for Java Developers in the United States. And what better way to break down this profession and the salaries associated, than by introducing you to our Akkodis Salary Guide. This is the best place to start when looking for concrete data on current salary breakdowns for experts in Java. We’ve gathered the most comprehensive salary ranges in the market from entry level positions, to architect positions, to executive level jobs and everything in between. Let’s dive in!
15th of November, 2022
Different Java Developer Job Titles
Before we break down average salaries, let’s first answer the question: what is the difference between Java Developers, Java Architects, and Fullstack Developers? Java Developers use the Java programming language and computing platform to write, design and test computer programs that will support the various business goals for their employer. Java Architects work closely with the Software Engineers and management to design Java-based software that will meet business and technical needs. Full Stack Java Developers design and develop both front and back-end website architecture. They are also proficient in multiple server-side languages and frameworks.
Salary For Java Professionals
To help you read the salaries for Java Developers, Java Architects, and Full Stack Java Developers here’s how we break them down:
- 10TH PERCENTILE: Only 10% of the national workforce — across all industries and company sizes — is paid below this figure.
- MEDIAN: Only 50% of the national workforce — across all industries and company sizes — is paid below or above this figure.
- 90TH PERCENTILE: Only 10% of the national workforce — across all industries and company sizes — is paid above this figure.
Median base salary by experience level:
- LOW EXPERIENCE: The median base salary for the national workforce with 0-1 years of experience.
- AVERAGE EXPERIENCE: The median base salary for the national workforce with 2-10 years of experience.
- HIGH EXPERIENCE: The median base salary for the national workforce with more than 10 years of experience.
Salary Averages for Java Developer Job Titles
Java Developer, Java Architect, and Full Stack Java Developer salaries vary based on several factors such as years of experience, certifications held, and regional locations.
- For a Java Developer the average base salary range is: $72,000 - $176,000
- For a Java Architect the average base salary range is: $79,00 - $192,000
- For a Full Stack Java Developer the average base salary range is: $73,000 - $178,000
If you are looking for a more specific number, our Salary Guide has more detailed information.
Aside from all the job titles and corresponding salary ranges for Java experts, plus hundreds of other IT positions, our guide also highlights some important industry insights you need to know that will help you make the best decision for your career.
Region-Specific Salary Information
Contact your Akkodis Career Partner today to find out what you could be making as a Java expert in your area! We have career partners all over the country that are ready to help you find the best career utilizing your Java expertise, and get the salary you deserve. Is working from home more your style? Your Akkodis Career Partner, is ready to connect you with remote Java Developer positions that could be the perfect fit based on your experience, career expectations and needs.
How Can I Increase My Salary as a Java Developer, Java Architect, or Full Stack Java Developer?
The fact that you’re reading this means you are already on the right track to level;-up your Java Developer salary. Here are a few things to consider to get that pay raise and move your career forward:
One of the best ways to increase your salary is to continue your education and add to your skillset. Professional credibility comes from training and certification combined. As you work towards earning certifications, you can expect to retain the new skills you’ve learned. Upskilling, reskilling, and earning certifications related to Java can help increase your salary, advance your skill set, and increase your job satisfaction. In the business world, you will have more opportunities if you are viewed as being competent and capable.
Level-up Your Java Developer Skills
If you are interested in upskilling or reskilling, the Akkodis Academy Program is the perfect place to start. Whether you are looking for ways to advance your career, make a career change or position yourself for salary growth within your current position, the Akkodis Academy Program has an opportunity for you!
Acquire a New Certification:
- Oracle offers a Java certification program that enables Java experts like you to demonstrate in-demand skills, improve your job performance, and increase your earning potential. According to the Oracle website, 61% of professionals who completed the Oracle Certification received a job promotion or a new job after completing the program.
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer: These certifications teach skills that involve programming with Java and other programming languages.
- Spring Professional Certification: The Spring Professional certification exam is designed to test and validate your understanding of and familiarity with core aspects of Spring such as:
- Container basics
- Aspect Oriented Programming (AOP)
- Data access and transactions
- Spring model-view-controller (MVC)
- ISTQB Certifications: The International Software Testing Qualifications Board (ISTQB) offers certifications which are related to Java. These certifications are:
- Foundation Level Certificate in Software Testing
- Advanced Level Certificate in Software Testing
What’s Next for my Java Developer Career?
Whether you are just entering the field of Java Developer or a seasoned expert, Akkodis is ready to guide you into a career position that is going to be the best fit for your ambitions and increase your earning potential. When people join Akkodis, they can be sure their career is in trustworthy hands. Contact us today to get started or check out some of our open positions here!